Friday, July 17, 2009

Kids and Competitive Sports

First I want to say that this is a very interesting article (posted below for you) - it got me thinking about so many things. I love that they quoted the coach from De La Salle in the article as this is one of the best examples of a well-rounded, and organized sports team I can personally think of. I pulled up De La Salle's current mission statement and it says the following:

"We seek to create an environment in which all student-athletes develop a sense of self-esteem and dignity in a Christian setting that is both moral and caring. The Athletic Department recognizes and fosters the development of commitment, brotherhood and sportsmanship, and instills in all the student-athletes a sense of pride and achievement."

This article in so many ways shows an ugly truth as to the priorities of American families and is in my opinion, a very small part of a much bigger issue. In regards to the topic -  I believe that organized sports can be an excellent thing for a child. My husband played football as a young man and it was an outlet for him. A safe place so to say where he "belonged" to a team with a unified goal. In many times throughout his life he has been on similar "teams" in the business world and is so grateful for the lessons he has taken from the field into his adult life. I think we should ask whether the involvement in a sport is creating transferable values for the child. There are important things that can be applied with all aspects of life...is the team my child is on teaching them these lessons? OR are we putting the emphasis on chaos, winning and obsessive behaviors? 

Healthy competition can be a great thing. The problem we run into is that there is really no standard for "Healthy Competition". I have had bosses that have pitted myself and another manager against each other to see how far they could push us...not so healthy. I have had bosses that partnered myself and another manager in an attempt to see how we would push one another to be better...a better approach. Because individuals are motivated in different ways, it is hard to put a standard in place and call it "healthy". I rode in my first MS 150 this year and found that during training, the athletes that were "serious" cyclist pushed me to a limit psychologically that was not good for me. I would ride 65 miles and feel like a failure because I didn't make it to the 80 I started out to do. WHAT?! Everyone else I knew couldn't even fathom riding 20 miles, much less 65...so why did I feel that way? Making sure the situation is right, the peer influence is right, and that healthy behaviors are being fostered, is our responsibility to our kids. Some can handle the pressure better than others. It needs to be an individual analysis in which the child has a say. But ultimately it is the family's responsibility to watch for "red flags" when it comes to competitive environments of any type that our kids may be involved with - now or in the future. 

"Each day brings enough worry of its own" and each year responsibilities in your life will grow. Athletics for me have provided a positive outlet throughout my development and have helped me to deal with stress rather than creating more stress. I played many competitive sports growing up...Basketball, Volleyball, Track...and mostly on the B team :) For me, playing on a team taught me how to work with many types of personalities. Playing on the B team taught me how to deal with being "second best" sometimes and how to play to the best of my personal abilities. It taught me ways to identify my personal strengths and weaknesses and helped me to vent frustration and stress in a healthy way. I now participate in Tri-athlons and exercise is a part of my life weekly because of my love of sports and wellness...not to win. It is important to realize that these experiences will effect kids well into their adult lives...good or bad. Stress will come soon enough...turning a sport into a stressful, unhealthy experience is not good for the kids (or the parents).

We are raising a new generation...an IPOD nation...of kids that are plugged in and that need to be constantly entertained. It started with MY generation - and it has changed the way we live our lives. It has changed the way we do business and the way we meet. I believe that families need to place a greater emphasis on developing balanced environments where kids can develop physically, mentally and spiritually. Taking anything to the extreme is not healthy and can result in addictive behaviors later in life. It is as the sayings go..."With (fill in the blank) does not come happiness"...or in this case..."Winning isn't everything". 

What are your thoughts?  I can only speak regarding my personal childhood experiences as I am not yet a Mom :)  I would love to hear from parents that are dealing with these current pressures and see what you think!

http://www.hyper-parenting.com/sfchronicle2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment