Thursday, July 28, 2011

Coordination not required...

My new favorite weekly workout is a free Zumba class at Discovery Green...and no, coordination is not required! I am like many of you and become bored very quickly with my workout. I credit this A.D.D. to the reason I love sprint triathlons as well. I am always looking for fun and cost effective (a.k.a.: FREE) ways to get in a little cardio, especially when the 100 degree temps in Houston are beckoning. Usually I can find relief in the people watching provided at Memorial Park as I run the "fruit loop", but in these temperatures, I am dying by about mile 2. I have resulted at 30 to actually listening to my body. Yes, before this I would tell all of you ever so smugly, "Listen to your bodies, it's obviously trying to tell you something." Then I'd go run at Memorial in 100 degree weather with no water and almost have a heat stroke...or push through a nagging injury. The old, do as I say, not as I do theory. So, now I find comfort in taking my own great advice (HA). With the heat, the best activities are indoors, early/late, or in the water. Since I don't have a gym membership and absolutely prefer to exercise outside (I have discovered I am a Naturalist, which is a whole other discussion), I choose the early/late and water options. There is SO much you can do in this area. I welcome suggestions I do not list below, but here are a few for you:

1. ZUMBA baby...or just Zumba! 1 hr moderate cardio workout with an awesome legs (quads, hams, glutes) focus. Dicovery Green @ 6:30 pm every Wed.

2. Swim (freestyle) at Lake 288 or your local watering hole...swimming is a low impact, vigorous or moderate workout that is great for athletes and post surgical patients alike. Don't knock it til' you try it! The water offers resistance you wouldn't get and you burn upwards of 400-600 calories doing water jogging or freestyle swim for 30-60 minutes.

3. Yoga at Discovery Green - 1 hr moderate workout @ 9:30 am every Saturday. Get there early and grab some shade.

4. Weights and tempo cardio - try this at a local park early am or in your living room to beat the heat. Mix 40-60 minutes of weights (5-10 lbs) and your choice of jump rope, jumping jacks, etc. in between sets.

5. Paddle boarding - Pinkies in Clearlake offers free first session and lessons for ladies! In case you are unfamiliar, this is where you stand on an over sized boogie board and use a paddle to move through the water. It's a great way to work on balance and strength.

6. Kayaking at the bayou...this will run you about $45 per person, but it's worth it. Get a tour of Houston and a 2-hr excursion along the bayou.

7. Memorial Park's new extended trails - take your bike and test the new trails!

8. Take a Yoga class for $10 a session at the Houston Arboretum - they offer evening classes this time of year and always in the shade of the trees.

9. Hike the trails at the Houston Arboretum - explore nature and get in a brisk walk.

10. Schlitterbaun...yes, that's right. For all you parents that get sucked into the water park frenzy this summer, here's a fun tip to get some cardio in while floating the Lazy River. Ditch the tube and walk against the current for 10-15 minutes...yep...it'll kick your booty.

Hope that helps! Remember to stay hydrated and to take in 60-100 fl oz of water on your vigorous days. Skip the extra sodium and calories of a sports drink and go for the H2O! If you are ever feeling over heated, "Listen to your body", slow down and cool down. No really, I mean it this time! :) And I promise to follow my own advice.

Love,

Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment